At 4:45 I have my appointment to get the pathology from my last surgery. I am really scared because every time I see this Dr. She gives me bad news… Hopingt he day will pass quickly…
I finally got a call back about my pathology and they’ve scheduled me in for an appointment next week Sept 30th. Why it took this long baffles me but once again, I wait….
My surgery went very well. It seems I did really well through the surgery (Despite my larger than normal windpipe! Yeah, those are my surgeons words…)
I had none of the complications that are expected. I did my best to get up and back to normal as soon as possible. I was doing so well I was released from the hospital a day/two earlier than expected. Yay!
Recovery also has been quite good. In fact I felt pretty fantastic the first week. Not too much pain and my energy level was fairly normal. Now that my body has lost all the natural thyroid hormones (T4 & T3) I am feeling pretty wiped out. Bordering on exhaustion. My Dr said this is to be expected while they are trying to figure out my dosage of the synthetic hromones I am on now (Synthroid). I am trying to rest when I can (lol) once my family and I are moved and settled this will be much easier.
Friends have been by to see me both in the hospital and sicne getting home. Everyone has been so supportive, but a handful of close friends have really stepped up. The flowers and cards have been pouring in, and I am thankful for being so blessed by wonderful people.
I got some of the pathology back from my surgeon. Rather than just having the 2 known tumours in my thyroid I actually had five. 3 were quite small still and the other 2 were really big. The largest being around 5cms. No wonder I was having trouble swallowing and the feeling of something always in my throat! She feels fairly confident that even though there was some small amount of metastasis, she has got all the cancer out. She is still urging me to go through with radiation as she feels it is the safest option to ensure ALL the cancer is irradicated. After the research I have done I am leaning toward not dong it. If she’s confident it’s all out and my body scan doesn’t detect any I don’t see the point. Sure it will kill any undetected cancer, but it will also bring my chances of developing breast cancer to higher levels. I am not sure it’s worth it to put myself at risk of a secondary cancer. I haven’t decided fully and basically it’s up to the oncologist to decide. I am just really having a hard time with it all now.
At the moment I am waiting to see the endocronologist, and my oncologist before I know what will happen next.
SO until those appointments I am trying to keep an open mind.